lukegilman.com : High on the Hog Blog
Purveyor of Idle Observation

Icon
Please note: I'm no longer updating this particular blog, but keep it around for archival purposes. Visit me at the current blog at www.lukegilman.com

Apple, Stop #$@&#@! harassing me to download Safari

By: Luke Gilman | Other Posts by
Go to Comments | 10 Comments

You’ve asked me about a dozen times now on my various computers. I’ve politely told you no each time. I don’t want your stupid browser. I like Firefox just fine thank you. Now I’m starting to wish I didn’t have iTunes so you would stop pestering me to download Safari at every update. I expect that kind of behavior from Microsoft but not from you. Think different my ass.

Bookmark this Page:
  • e-mail
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Facebook
  • del.icio.us
  • digg
  • Live
  • Furl
  • Ma.gnolia
  • Reddit
  • YahooMyWeb
  • Slashdot

Category: rants and screeds, technology

Tagged:

10 Responses

1. lukegilman says:

Finding and downloading Songbird – 10 minutes

Importing iTunes libraries and playlists – 15 minutes

Market choice in media players – priceless

2. Daniel says:

The Safari push was the last straw for me. I just uninstalled all Apple software from my PC. I replaced Quicktime with GOM Player, which works well and has a much smaller footprint.

3. kadoma says:

- 1: Select the application that u dont want
    - 2: select the first item of the first menu (not the apple Menu) and validate

Now the macOSX update application will ignore the update of the selected application.

4. mrshl says:

I recommend MediaMonkey if you need an iTunes replacement that does freaking everything.

5. Myk Melez says:

Did Songbird import your DRMed “protected AAC” songs as well? Last time I tried Songbird, that was the reason I couldn’t use it, although since then I’ve stopped buying such songs (which has been much easier since the advent of the Amazon MP3 Store).

6. Myk Melez says:

Hmm, to answer my own question, it does indeed import those “protected AAC” songs. I guess I have myself a new music player.

7. I uninstalled Apple Software Updater on my Windows machine because of this. It was the easiest path for me. Of course, I’ll probably get owned by some zero-day QuickTime exploit eventually.

8. lukegilman says:

So it turns out I’m not the only one to call Apple out on their skeezy updater shenanigans. The bad press initiated a change of heart at Apple, well, actually no, more like a change of interface designers.

As Wired notes, “the new programs are no longer listed as “updates,” but appear in a separate pane clearly labeled “New Software.””

I’m wondering, was it a conscious shift for Apple to go from treating users as discerning connoisseurs to deciding that Apple knows best and consumers should bend over and take it with a smile? Did they think I had just never tried Safari and once I did I’d be blown away by my new found ability to um… view web pages and all would be forgiven? or perhaps they just figured pissing off a few iTunes users like me was worth it to bloat their Safari stats.

9. [...] users were none too pleased about some of Apple’s recent software update techniques (more links to evidence at Asa [...]

10. Alexander says:

you should probably just download safari…